The course enables you to plan both the lifestyle and financial aspects of your retirement and to refine these plans over time. It is based on our highly successful real world courses that we run all around the UK.
If you aren’t aware of the need and benefits of planning your retirement then please visit our section on Why you need to plan your retirement.
If you haven’t already seen it and would like to see a short demonstration of the course then please click here
Who should use the course?
If you fall into one of these two groups the course is for you:
- If you are within a few years of potential retirement and want to plan both the lifestyle and financial aspects of your retirement. Either because you have already decided when to retire, or as a means of helping you decide when to retire.
- If you are further away from potential retirement but want to plan, or review, your finances to ensure that you can reach retirement with adequate finances to support the lifestyle you want to have.
The course consists of a number of modules organised around a hub. There are some core finance and lifestyle modules that everyone should do but the remainder are done as and when you choose to do them.
- Within each module there are typically several sections and optional elements to choose from, so that you can go through the course at a basic level or in-depth.
- For example if you are 10-15 years from retirement the finance modules are likely to be of most interest to you to test your plans and because they will help you decide on actions you might need to take to ensure you build up the funds you require. The lifestyle aspects will be important but at a high level as context for developing financial plans.
- On the other hand, if you are within a few years of retirement there will still be some financial decisions you will need to make but the lifestyle modules will be much more important to do in-depth. These will help decide how to spend the next 20 to 25 years in a way that is both enjoyable and fulfilling.
- In the finance modules we look at personal planning for your financial needs in retirement, what your current plans are likely to give you and any gap between them. We also look at the options brought in by Pension Freedom, the pros and cons of these and some of the key decisions that need to be made. There is also the option to dive down into much more detailed planning if you want to and also get educated about each of the things that a financial planner would consider. When it comes to making financial decisions there is a lot you can get right and conversely a lot you can get wrong. You’ll have the option to take a more detailed look at the big issues, like risk and tax.
- The information captured at each stage is held behind the scenes so it can be re-used as part of the detailed planning section at the end of the course.
- You can also keep coming back to the course as your plans become more defined and you want to give more thought to particular aspects of your future life.
- It’s a very powerful and in-depth course but you can do it at whatever level you want and refine it over time and it will also help you decide when you might like to retire.